- I've found my niche in building design systems; the perfect mix of pixel pushing and development
- Some of the titles I've held in my career are Head of UX, Senior Product Designer and Frontend Developer
- I have lived in Spain and worked in Gibraltar for eight years, however, my Spanish isn't great
- I started building websites with Dreamweaver MX around the time Internet Explorer 6 was cutting edge
- I am married, have a wild son that's football daft and I love working out
- Phoenix Group
- Senior Product Designer
Design Systems, Jan 2022 - Present
- Wood Mackenzie
- Senior Product Designer
Design Systems, Jul 2019 - Jan 2022
- William Hill
- Sportbook UX Lead, Sep 2015 - Jun 2019
- Interim Head of UX, Jan 2015 - Sep 2015
- UX / UI Designer, Oct 2011 - Dec 2014
- Other Work
- Street Parking Product Designer,April 2020 - Present
- Crush, Sep 2008 - Oct 2011
- 1st Class Media, Aug 2006 - Aug 2008
After completing an Honours Degree in Consumer Product Design, I started freelancing in Web Design and paid my dues to a few agencies.Remember IE6 bug's and designing with tables... yes I did that.
I was fortunate enough to land a role based in Gibraltar with William Hill, one of the UK's largest bookmakers. During my eight years, I worked my way up to the Sportsbook UX Lead. My time in the Med allowed me to make significant strides in my career. Building teams, managing in remote and in -house teams all the while championing UX with changing leadership.
After a long time away, it was time to return home with my wife and son into the growing tech scene in Scotland.
First Design System
Returning to Edinburgh I was fortunate enough to be focus on building out the design system for Wood Mackenzie, one of the world's leading energy consultancies. My daily responsibilities moved between building out our design system site in Gatsby, documenting components in React & MDX and transitioning our system from Sketch to Figma.
Our design system teams successfully delivered and governed the Hydrocarbon design system that was used by all of the feature teams.
Second Design System
Moving to Phoenix Group I took on the challenge of migrating their brand guidelines and multiple products into a multi-brand and cross platform design system.
It's early days on this project but we have already released v1.0 of our Figma component library and documentation. In the new year we will be working towards creating the coded component library with our development team.
Throughout my career, I've always loved the technical side of digital design. I continue to build out small sites and side projects to keep my skills on point; you are more likely to find me in Codepen than Dribbble. Over the past two years I have been fortunate enough to provide my design skills to the fitness platform Street Parking. I was one of their users for two years prior, so getting to work on a project I use daily is a true passion project.
Thanks for taking the time to check out my work, if you would like to discuss a project, please get in touch via LinkedIn or download my CV above.